AAT

Entries tagged with "Early Christian"


Museum curator, authority on early Christian, Byzantian, Islamic and early Nordic art and textiles. Berliner's parents were Theodor Berliner, a protestant from Jewish extraction, who owned a factory, and Philippine Wollner (Berliner). Beginning in 1904, Berliner studied art history in Berlin, Heidelberg and Vienna under Max Dvořák, earning his doctorate in 1910 with a dissertation on the dating of a Greek manuscript miniature painting.

Professor and early Christian art scholar at University of Vienna. In 1895 Härtel co-published, Die Wiener Genesis, with his Vienna colleague Franz Wickhoff. Härtel undertook the description of the manuscript and of the Greek text, and Wickhoff that of the pictures.

Art historian and professor in Iconography and Early Christian Art. Hoogewerff attended the Gymnasium in Amersfoort and studied Dutch Language and Literature at the University of Utrecht between 1903 and 1908. In 1912 he received his doctorate, writing his dissertation on Dutch painters working in Italy: Nederlandsche schilders in Italië in de XVIe eeuw. De geschiedenis van het Romanisme. His advisor was Willem Vogelsang, the first full professor in art history in the Netherlands (beginning 1907). Hoogewerff became his assistant in 1908.

Early female art historian of the Italian Renaissance; author of the first systematic study of Christian iconography in the English language. Born the daughter of the Irish miniaturist painter Denis Murphy and English wife (name now lost), the family emigrated to England in 1798, finally settling in London in 1803. Anna Murphy worked as a governess for several wealthy families, one of whom took her to the continent.

Scholar of early Christian sarcophagi; Chair of the Art Department at Barnard College. Lawrence graduated from Byrn Mawr College in art history in 1923. She continued on to graduate school at Harvard, where she worked under the Princeton scholar Charles Rufus Morey who was on exchange for that year. It was Morey who introduced her to early Christian art. In 1924-25 she was appointed assistant at Wellesley. She was awarded a fellowship at the American Academy in Rome for the 1925-27 period.

Byzantinist and historian of Early Christian art and architecture. Mathews graduated with a degree in Classics and Philosophy from Boston College in 1957, receiving an M.A. in philosophy the following year. He taught as an Instructor in classical languages at Holy Cross College, Worcester, MA, between 1958 and 1960. Mathews wrote a second master's thesis in art history at New York University in 1962 before entering Weston College, Somerset, UK, for an Licentiate in Sacred Theology (S. T. L.) in 1965. He was ordained a Roman Catholic priest in the Society of Jesus (Jesuits).

Archaeologist, epigrapher, and historian of ancient Christian and Islamic architecture. Monneret de Villiard began his career as an architect, later becoming an instructor of medieval architecture at the Politenico in Milan. His interest in archaeology led him to North Africa, where he studied Coptic art and its Greek and Egyptian origins. In 1923, Monneret de Villard completed a monograph on the Aswan, an Islamic necropolis. He was a major contributor to the scholarship on the Nubian region during the medieval period, leading several archaeological excavations in Addis Ababa.

Professor of Early Christian Art and Coptic Art, Catholic Priest. After his ordination, in 1958, Van Moorsel served for a short period as a priest in the parish of Roelofarendsveen, near Leiden. He then decided to attend the lectures of Henri Van de Waal, Professor of Art History at Leiden University. One year later he went to Rome, to study Church History at the Gregorian University.

Documentary art historian of Roman, early Christian, and Italian Renaissance art. Müntz went to Paris in 1857 to study law, but after brief study became interested in art, and devoted the rest of his life to art-historical research. His early contributation to the journal Revue Alsacienne brought him notoriety. In 1875, he studied at the newly-founded école Française in Rome (founded by Albert Dumont), among fellow students such as father Louis Duchesne (1843-1922), later a director of the school.

Early Christian and Byzantine art scholar; chair of the Department of Art, University of Chicago and fourth president of the College Art Association, 1929-1938. Shapley was born on the family farm in Missouri and educated in a one-room school house. He graduated from the University of Missouri in 1912. He continued for an M.A. at Princeton University, granted in 1913. While still a student, Shapley and his teacher, John Pickard, helped found the College Art Association, the American professional body of art historians and professional artists. His Ph.D.

Scholar of early Christian art; Princeton University professor and chair of the department. Smith graduated from Pratt Institute in Brooklyn in 1906 and received his A. B. and Bowdoin College in 1911. He moved to Princeton University studying under Charles Rufus Morey and Howard Crosby Butler, where he earned his M. A. in 1912 and his Ph.D. in 1915. His dissertation topic was Early Christian Iconography and the School of Provence. Smith joined the faculty at Princeton the following year and advance rapidly through the academics ranks.

historian of early Christian Greek architecture

Art historian of the Roman and early Christian period; founding member of the so-called first "Vienna School" of art history. Wickhoff was a student of archaeologist Alexander Conze and Moriz Thausing at the University of Vienna and the historian Theodor von Sickel (1826-1908), the latter the founder of historical "diplomatics," the method for determining the authenticity of documents. In 1879 Wickhoff was appointed inspector at the Kunstgewerbe-Museum under Thausing.

Scholar of early Christian art.

Historian of Byzantine and early Christian Greek art and architecture. Xyngopoulos studied at the School of Philosophy, University of Athens, graduating in 1924. At the same time, he joined the Greek archaeological service (1920). He wrote his dissertation in 1937 from the École Pratique des Hautes Études, Paris, working under Charles Diehl and Gabriel Millet. Xyngopoulos continued his work at the archaeological service, primarily in the area of Macedonia, eventually becoming the supervisor (ephor) of Bysantine monutments.