Student of Max Dvořák.
Entries tagged with "Czechoslovakia"
Architectural historian; German Neo-Classicism. Giedion was born to Johann and Bertha Jacobs Giedion. He received his Ph.D. in art history under Heinrich Wölfflin in Munich. Giedion was appointed professor at the university in Zürich. He left Switzerland shortly before World War II to be the Charles Eliot Norton professor of poetry in 1938 at Harvard University. His Norton lectures for 1938-1939 became his most famous book, Space, Time and Architecture: the Growth of a New Tradition.
Specialist in ancient Greek and Minoan art, particularly the juncture between the preclassical and classical ages. Maintained in 1935 book that the monumental classical Greek sculpture owed much more to the creativity of the Greeks than to "oriental" precursors. Studied at the German University of Prague (1917-1921). Dozent (tutor/lecturer, 1930-1935) and then Professor of Classical Archaeology (1935-1945) at the German University of Prague. A.o. Professor for Archaeology and Epigraphics at Erlangen University (1954-1963).
Art critic and art historian; popularizer of modern art in England. Hodin's father, Edouard David Hodin, was a German Jew working in Czechoslovakia as a photographer at the time of his son's birth. His mother was Rose Klug (Hodin). At his father's insistence, Hodin studied law at Charles University, Prague, graduating with a J.D., in 1924. He never practiced, however, entering the Art Academy of Dresden in 1931 and the Art Academy of Berlin studying art, 1932-1933. Hodin settled in Stockholm during World War II, joining the Czechoslovak Resistance there.
Private scholar; editorial Secretary and Assistant Editor of the The Burlington Magazine, 1938-1950. Hoffmann was the daughter of the writer and Czech diplomat Camill (or Kamil) Hoffmann (1878-144) and his wife, Irma Oplatka (Hoffmann) (1883-1944). Irma’s father was an art writer and a friend of the Austrian Expressionist artist Oskar Kokoschka. After attending elementary school in the suburban town of Hellerau bei Dresden, she graduated from the Auguste Victoria Girls' School in Berlin in 1928.
Vasari scholar of Vienna school
Curator of the Kupferstichkabinett (Graphics Collection), Berlin State Museums and expertising authority. Friedrich Lippmann was in Prague, the youngest son of a wealthy factory owner. He often travelled to Venice as a child with his father. After graduating from the Prague Gymnasium in 1856 he spent several months in Paris before attending university studying political science. in the 1860s he moved to Vienna to study both technology and the fine arts. There he met Rudolf von Eitelberger, the eminent founder of the Österreichisches Museum (Austrian Museum).
Barberini scholar; studied and published documents 1928-31, Student of Max Dvořák.
Goltzius scholar; Professor of art history at Utrecht University. Reznicek attended high school at Nymburk and studied, between 1945 and 1948, history at the Univerzita Karlova (Charles University) in Prague. In 1948 he fled to West-Germany, from where he then moved to The Netherlands. At Utrecht University, he studied art history, from 1948 to 1953, under J. G. van Gelder, William S. Heckscher, Murk Daniël Ozinga, and G. J. Hoogewerff.