Entries tagged with "Hamburg, Germany"
Early Warburg Institute developer and Director. Bing's parents were Moritz Bing and Emma Jonas (Bing). After attending the Lyceum in Hamburg, 1909-1913 and receiving an abitur from the Heinrich-Hertz Realgymnasium in 1916, she attended the universities of Munich and then Hamburg concentrating in philosophy. Her dissertation, written under Ernst Cassirer in 1921, focused on Lessing and Leibniz.
Professor of Baroque art, UCLA. Birkmeyer received his Ph.D. from Humbolt University in 1943. With the victory of the Allies over Germany in 1945, Birkmeyer was made Chief advisor and administrator to the Fine Arts & Architecture section of the American Military government in Bavaria, concluding his services in 1948. He immigrated to the United States where he was appointed assistant professor of art history at Stanford University in 1950. He moved the the University of California, Los Angeles in 1953, rising to professor of art in 1962. He chaired the department of art 1966-1968.
Specialist in classical Greek and Roman iconography, and president of the deutsches archäologisches Institut (German Archaeological Institute, or DAI) 1954-1960. Decorated during military service in World War I, a member of the circle around Stefan George, and the model for George's poem "Einem jungen Führer im Ersten Weltkrieg." A student of Theodor Wiegand, and also his assistant at the Pergamon excavation 1927-1931. Began teaching at the University of Greifswald in 1934, and was appointed ordinary Professor there in 1943.
Professor and librarian. Breitenbach studied art history as well as German and Scandinavian literature at the university in Munich and then Hamburg where his professors were Erwin Panofsky and Fritz Saxl. His dissertation, completed in Strassburg in 1929 under Panofsky, was Speculum humanae salvationis: eine typengeschichtliche Untersuchungen. He worked as a Library assistant at the Warburg Library in Hamburg 1926-27.
Modern art champion in Germany, first director of the Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe in Hamburg. He married Ida Laura Anna Marie von Froschauer in 1868. Plans for the museum were formulated from 1873 to 1875 thorugh a design of Carl Johann Christian Zimmermann. The Museum was opened in 1877, located on Steintorplatz, officially known as the Staatliches Technikum und Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe (State Center for Technology and Msueum of Fine and Useful Arts). Brinckmann collected a wide range of objects for the museum, from Renaissance painting to Viennese furniture to Japanese prints.
Nazi art historian; director of the Kunstgeschichtliche Seminar, Universität Hamburg (Art History Seminar at the University of Hamburg); responsible for the exile of many Jewish art historians.
Art historian of Netherlandish painting and graphic works of art; Robert Lehman Professor of Fine Arts, New York University. Eisler was born to George B. Eisler, a Hamburg publisher, and Kate Basseches (Eisler). The family emigrated to the United States where the younger Eisler graduated from Yale University in 1952. He continued graduate study at Oxford University, 1952-53, before entering Harvard University. At Harvard he received his A.M. in 1954.
First professor to be named to a position in art history (Göttingen); painter. Fiorillo's family was originally from Naples, but had settled in Hamburg. He initially trained as a painter at the academy in Bayreuth. In 1761 he moved to Rome to continue his training under Pompeo Batoni and then Giuseppe Bottani. By 1765 he was working in Bologna where he was nominated to the Accademia di Belle Arti in 1769. He returned that same year to be court painter to Brunswick. In 1781 he moved to Göttingen to teach art classes and paint.
Greek and Roman architectural historian. Gerkan was born in a small town on the Baltic coast. He initially studied at Riga, Latvia, but during the insurgency with Russian in 1906, he switched to Dresden (though he received his diploma from Riga). He traveled to Greece and Asia Minor after graduation. Wilhelm Dörpfeld secured him a position at the excavations at Miletos, Didyma and Samos (1908-1914) under the direction of Theodor Wiegand. He served as a Russian officer during World War I and after 1918 volunteering in a German military unit.
Curator of Decorative Arts, Art Insititute of Chicago, 1940-51.
Medievalist art historian, influential teacher to a generation of art historians and successor to Heinrich Wölfflin in Berlin. Goldschmidt was the eldest of seven children of wealthy Hamburg financier Martin Goldschmidt (1823-1903) and Louise Arnold (Goldschmidt) (1839-1919). He attended the Realgymnasium in Hamburg and then two years training in his father's office for a career in banking.
Italian renaissance scholar
Specialist in classical Greek and Roman art, influenced by structuralist school. Ausserplanmäßige Professor at Göttingen University (1952-1964), ordentliche Professor of Archaeology at the University of Giessen (1964-1968) and then Hamburg (1968-1979).
Connoisseur, esthetician and collector. Influential author during the Enlightenment for art historians (J. von Schlosser, 1924)
Dutch baroque scholar; art museum director; student of Panofsky. Heckscher was raised in Hamburg, where he attended the University of Hamburg, studying under Erwin Panofsky. Heckscher described his student years in Hamburg as part of a group of deeply dedicated students whose ranks included Horst W. Janson, Walter W. Horn, Ursula Hoff, and Lotte Brand Foerster.
Museum director for the Hamburger Kunsthalle; notable advocate and collector of German modernist works. Heise was born in Hamburg, Germany as the only child of upper middle-class merchant Francis Julius Heise and Helene Kaemmerer (Heise). He attended the private secondary school of Dr. August Bieber until age 15, when he then moved to the Staatliche Oberrealschule in Uhlenhorst.
Hoeltje was born to Edmund Hoeltje, a professor and director of a mechanical engineering institute. His family moved from Hannover to Hagen and later Essen both where he attended schools.
Medievalist art historian. Jantzen initially studied law in college, switching to art history, archaeology and philosophy taking classes at various universities as was standard among humanities students in Germany. He studied under Henrich Wölfflin in Berlin and Adolph Goldschmidt in Halle. His doctorate was granted at Halle in 1908 under Goldschmidt with a dissertation written on the topic the depiction of architecture in Netherlandish painting. After writing his Habilitationschrift, Jantzen lectured at Halle in 1912.
Specialist in antique architecture. Dozent at the University of Bonn, 1914-1923. Professor at the University of Jena (1923-1929), University of Leipzig (1929-1931) and Halle (1931-?). His art-historical writing was so valued by Margarete Bieber that she included a passage in her German Readings reader of 1946. His students included Leopold D. Ettlinger.
Art Historian and pedagogical reformer, founder of the "Experiential Art Appreciation" method of teaching. After graduating from the university, Lichtwark worked as a teacher. In 1878 he began attending the lectures of Justus Brinckmann who had founded the Hamburg Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe the year before. Brinckmann introduced Lichtwark to the Hamburg industrialist Call Kall. Kall came to consider Lichtwark his son and paid for Lichtwark to study art history under Anton Springer in Leipzig.
Professor of art history, Erwin Panofsky student
Medievalist art historian, Adolph Goldschmidt student in Berlin. He and Friedrich Winkler assisted the aging and destitute medievalist Wilhelm Vöge publish Vöge's last book.
Professor at University of Dorpat (1873-1879, Universty of Prague (1879-1886). Director of the German Archaeological Institute (DAI) in Rome, 1887-1905.