Private art scholar and dealer of ancient Greek sculpture and portraits. Son of an affluent merchant in Mecklenburg, Arndt studied classical art with Johannes Overbeck in Leipzig and Enrico Brunn in Munich. His dissertation, written under Brunn, focused on Greek vase types. He never attempted a habilitationschrift. Brunn took Arndt for his assistant. Because of his financial independence, Arndt could afford to remain a private scholar.
Entries tagged with "Dresden, Germany"
Architect and seminal architectural historian for the Baroque. Gurlitt hailed from an illustrious creative family of assimilated Jews. He was named for his great uncle, the well-known composer [Gustav] Cornelius Gurlitt (1820-1901). His father was Louis Gurlitt (1812-1879), a Danish/German landscape painter and his mother Elisabeth Lewald (Gurlitt), sister of the writer Fanny Lewald (1811-1889). The conductor and composer Manfred Gurlitt (1890-1972) was also a relative.
Connoisseur, esthetician and collector. Influential author during the Enlightenment for art historians (J. von Schlosser, 1924)
His students included Max Imdahl, whom he outlived by nearly a decade.
Second to the Secretary of the German Archaeological Institute in Rome 1865-1887, afterwards a private art dealer implicated in forgies and researcher in Rome. Helbig was the son of a Gymnasium (humanities high school) teacher in Dresden. He studied at Göttingen and then at Bonn where he was a student of classicist Friedrich Ritschl (1806-1876) and Otto Jahn. In 1862 he was awarded a scholarship to the DAI (Deutsches Archäologisches Institut or German Archaeological Institute) in Rome; he remained in that city the rest of his life.
Architectural historian of the baroque period. Author of first modern monograph on Borromini (1924) (Montagu/Connors).
Specialist in ancient Greek and Roman painting. Professor at the Technische Hochschule Dresden 1909-1925, and Director of the sculpture collection of the Albertinum Museum, Dresden, 1915-1925. He founded the Denkmäler der Malerei des Altertums and was its first editor. He was succeeded in the Denkmäler by Reinhard Herbig.
Early German curator, developed some of the principal collections which later became the National Gallery in Berlin.
Scholar of prints and engravings. Arthur Mayger Hind studied under him in Dresden before joining the prints department at the British Museum. In 1893 Lehrs and Elfried Bock collaborated with the curator of the Kupferstichkabinett of the Berlin State Museums, Friedrich Lippmann, to write an introduction to the history of engraving, Der Kupferstich.
Otto Dix scholar and architectural historian in East Germany. After studying in a variety of areas, Löffler obtained his Ph.D. at the Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität in Munich in 1928 with a dissertation on the poet Eduard von Keserling. Following his degree, Löffler joined the Staatlichen Gemäldegalerie in Dresden. He was part of the group of artists and intellectuals, the so-called "Deer Group" (Hirsche) which centered around Fritz Bienert, son of the Dresden modernist art collector Ida Bienert (1870-1965/6).
Specialist in early ancient Greek art, particularly the excavation at Tiryn. Student of Franz Studniczka, longtime dozent and assistant (ausserordentliche 1921-1937, ausserplanmässige 1939-?) Professor at the University of Göttingen.
Archaeologist and amateur baroque-art scholar. Norton was the son of Charles Eliot Norton, the Harvard art historian, and Susan Ridley Sedgwick (Norton), who died giving birth to him. He graduated from Harvard University in 1892 and continued study in Germany, attending the courses of Adolf Furtwängler on Greek sculpture, and at the American School of Classical Studies, Athens. An early study of Greek grave reliefs appeared in the Harvard Studies in Classical Philology.
Director of the Dresden Gemäldegalerie (1913-1942) and Nazi administrator in charge of the depository of looted art during the Reich years. Posse's father was a respected archivist in Dresden. The younger Posse joined the Dresden gallery, the state gallery of Saxony in 1910 and became director in 1913. He issued an updated edition of the Dresden holdings catalog of Karl Woermann. From the first as director, he showed a special callousness toward returning loaned pictures.
Early art historian. His 1852 Denkmale der Baukunst des Mittelalters in Sachsen became the model for many art historians, including Wilhelm Lübke.
Patron, collector, and historian of German art. Quant came from a wealthy merchant family in Leipzig, and became an art critic in 1808. His first article described a visit to the city of Annaberg, and was published in the Zeitung für die elgante Welt. He received praise from Johann Wolfgang von Goethe in 1815 for rescuing 11 German paintings from the attic of Nikolaikirche in Leipzig. In 1818, Quant moved to Rome, where he supported contemporary artists.
Dealer and historian of Italian art; documentary scholar on Leonardo. Richter's father was the distinguished Lutheran clergyman Karl Edmund Richter. The younger Richter also studied theology, school at Leipzig and acting as the tutor to the Landgrave Alexander Friedrich of Hesse. These student years afforded him much travel throughout Europe and the East. His knowledge of sites and travel brought him work writing for Karl Baedecker, the publisher of the famous travel guides. Richter discovered an interest in early Christian art and archaeology in 1869 during a trip to Italy.
Founder of modern art history (history based on documentary study); key member of the Berlin school of art history. Rumohr was born to Henning von Rumohr (1722-1804) and belonged to a noble Holstein family. His inheritance enabled him to pursue his art-historical interests without the constraints of employment. After attending the Gymnasium in Holzminden, Rumohr entered the university in Göttingen, focusing on foreign-languages and studying under Johann Dominico Fiorillo.
German Romantic literary critic and art writer; brother of August Wilhelm Schlegel. Schlegel was the youngest son of a protestant family that included his brother, August Wilhelm, who was his mentor. After an unsuccessful apprenticeship in banking in Leipzig, Friedrich joined August Wilhelm to study law at Göttingen. At Leipzig he had met the author/philosopher Novalis (Georg Philipp Friedrich Freiherr von Hardenberg, 1772-1801), and realized his calling was literature and cultural studies.
Director general of the Berlin museums and administrative innovator. Initially an artist, Schöne switched his calling to a study of archaeology in the mid-1860s, and received his Habilitation in 1868. Lecturer at the University of Halle (186?-1872). As general director of the Royal Museum of Berlin (1880-1905), Schöne was instrumental in reorienting the Prussian museum system away from a focus on aestheticising classicism and towards the historicist periodization favored by leading academics.
Curator of the antiquities collection at the Koniglichen Musuem in Berlin, 1908-1925, and curator of the sculpture collection at the Albertinum Museum in Dresden 1925-1934.
Museum director at Dresden. He collaborated with Georg Gronau on Leonardo scholarship.
Udo Kultermann sites Seidlitz among those Gründerzeit museum directors, along with Wilhelm Bode, Alfred Lichtwark, Justus Brinckmann, and Karl Woermann, as responsible for the formation of art history by virtue of their scholarship and interest in museum training.
Archictectural historian and specialist in the garden architecture of ancient Greece and Rome. Affiliated with the Technical University of Dresden (1921-1945). Much of his original work (research notes, manuscripts, and drawings) was destroyed in the firebombing of Dresden in 1945. After 1945, Sulze worked less on scholarship in order to concentrate on the architectural rebuilding of Dresden.
Medievalist and modernist; Director of Frankfurt art museums and later a Museum of Fine Art, Boston acquisitions curator, 1939-1957. Swarzenski's father was Adolf Hanns Swarzenski, a prosperous Dresden merchant originally of Jewish origin, and his mother, Auguste Beck (Swarzenski). In 1896 graduated with a degree in law from Heidelberg. He married Ella Perec-Wilcynska, [name sometimes appearing as Pertz-Wilcynska] in 1899, turning his attention to art history.
Scholar of the Italian Renaissance, Michelangelo scholar; professor at Heidelberg. Thode was the son of Robert Thode (1825-1898), a banker in Dresden and Adolfine Dzondi (Thode) (1822-1900). He attended the Gymnasium in Goerlitz, entering the university in Leipzig initially to study law. Thode changed to art history, studying in Vienna, Berlin and Munich, writing his dissertation under Moriz Thausing in Vienna in 1880. He spent several years in study in Italy, France and England.