Classical archaeologist and architectural historian, son of William Bell Dinsmoor, Sr. Dinsmoor was born to William Bell Dinsmoor and Zillah F. Pierce (Dinsmoor,1886-1960). His father was an eminent classical era architectural historian. The younger Dinsmoor attended Phillips Exeter Academy and then Columbia University, taking time out for active service in the military during World War II. After service in Indian and China, he returned to Columbia where he received a B.A. in modern languages in 1947.
Entries tagged with "Athens, Greece"
Architectural historian of classical Greece; Columbia University Professor of Art and Archaeology. Dinsmoor graduated from Harvard University with a bachelor of science degree in 1906. After working in an architectural firm, he joined the American School of Classical Studies in Athens in 1908 and in 1912 became the School's Architect. Dinsmoor joined the faculty of Columbia University in 1919. In the early 1920s, he consulted on the erection of the concrete replica of the Parthenon in Tennessee (a wooden structure had previous been at the Nashville site).
Professor of classical archaeology and museum director; established modern methods of ancient Greek vase analysis. Furtwängler's father was a classical scholar and schoolmaster. From 1870 onward, Furtwängler studied at Leipzig, under Johannes Overbeck and Freiburg where he received his undergraduate degree. His dissertation, Eros in der Vasenmalerei, was written in 1874, (published 1876) in Munich under Enrico Brunn. Furtwängler would later write a memoir of von Brunn.
Byzantinist art historian. Galavaris studied at the University of Athens. He received his Ph.D. from the department of art and archaeology at Princeton University in 1958, writing a thesis on Byzantine liturgical illustration under Kurt Weitzmann. He joined the faculty of McGill University, Montreal. In 1990 in collaboration with Weitzmann, he co-published the reseach collected on the Monastery of St. Catherine's at Mount Sinai, Egypt, The Illuminated Manuscripts. He retired in 1994. Galavaris' area was Byzantine manuscript illuminations.
Professor of Art at the College of Wooster, feminist and Byzantine art historian, and former director of the college’s museum. Thalia Gouma-Peterson was born in Athens, Greece in November, 1933 to Sophia Bitzanis and Lambros Groumas. She attended Arsakeion, Athens and Pierce College, Helleniko for her elementary and secondary education, respectively. She received her junior college diploma from Pierce College in 1952. Following this, Gouma-Peterson came to the United States as a Fullbright scholar. She attended Mills College from 1952 to 1957, receiving both her B.A. and M.A.
Giotto and early Italian Renaissance scholar; Franklin Professor of Art History at the Lamar Dodd School of Art, University of Georgia. Ladis was son of Thomas and Marina Ladis. His family moved to the United States when he was still a child. Ladis attended Thomas Jefferson High School in Richmond, VA. After graduating from the University of Virginia in history in 1970. That year he met William Underwood Eiland (later the the director of the Georgia Museum of Art) who became his life partner.
Archaeologist and general classical-studies scholar, including art history, at Göttingen University. Müller was the son of minister. He initially attended the university in Breslau and the classes of Barthold Niebuhr (1776-1831) on Roman history. Settling on Classics as a field, he moved to Berlin where he continued study with Friedrich Schleiermacher (1768-1834), Philipp Buttmann (1764-1829) and most importantly for Müller, August Böckh (1785-1867). Böckh instilled in the young Müller the notion of using all sources of ancient history to construct a comprehensive view of the past.
Architectural historian of classical and Byzantine buildings; specialist on Greek architectural techniques. Orlandos was educated at the Polytechnic University in Athens where he initially studied studio architecture. He later attended Athens University, pursing philosophy, as well as universities in England, France and Italy. In 1920 he was appointed Professor of Architecture at Athens Polytechnic. Orlandos carried out the first archaeological excavations at ancient Stymphalos over seven summers between 1924 and 1930 on behalf of the Archaeological Society of Athens.
Scholar of Greek archaic period pottery and sculpture. Payne's father was John Edward Payne (1844-1900), a Fellow at Oxford. Humfry Payne was educated at the Westminster School, London, and then Christ Church, Oxford University where he graduated in 1924. A pupil of J. D. Beazley and fellow classicist Alan Blakeway (1898-1936) he joined the Ashmolean Museum as assistant keeper in 1926 and was named a senior scholar at Christ Church (the latter position held until 1931). That same year he married fellow student (and later film critic) E.
Professor of medieval art at the Université de Paris 1; member of the internationalcouncil on monuments and sites, UNESCO (1980-2005). Pressouyre furthered the research of the Châlons-sur-Marne cloister fragments, a discovery orginally made by Willibald Sauerländer.
Historian of Byzantine and early Christian Greek art and architecture. Xyngopoulos studied at the School of Philosophy, University of Athens, graduating in 1924. At the same time, he joined the Greek archaeological service (1920). He wrote his dissertation in 1937 from the École Pratique des Hautes Études, Paris, working under Charles Diehl and Gabriel Millet. Xyngopoulos continued his work at the archaeological service, primarily in the area of Macedonia, eventually becoming the supervisor (ephor) of Bysantine monutments.